Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Be Ready for Change

            Terror, shock, and pain. The best words that can used to describe the moment where my life changed. Getting up and trying to stumble on through the seconds and collapsing under my own weight was the least of my mental concerns. I could feel every ounce of blood coursing through my body and I knew instantly what had happened. I had felt that failure, heard that pop, and knew instantly I was done. I knew that all the plans I had made in the past 2 years were done and that a new plan had to be reformatted. The sweat was dripping down my brows after only a few moments and the tears followed soon thereafter. Within a few moments my entire career was over and the time came to start anew. It was going to be a long ride.
            Coming into my senior year of football I was one of the more highly recruited defensive players in my area and in the state. I could play any positions and was young enough to learn the rest. I had offers from numerous schools and still held out for a few, hoping my senior year would be the evidence they needed to offer me a chance to play. I was athletic, but never blinding anyone with my talent. I was known far more for my intelligence and relentless hustle rather than an overwhelming skill set. The first game of my senior year was televised and the ESPN cameras were everywhere. I knew I was ready to showcase my abilities on the biggest stage; I was vying for every moment on camera where I could later show to colleges. I walked out of that opening video with every muscle in my body relaxed and poised, ready to make a statement. I went on kickoff that week to get the ground running that week and avoid a sluggish start.  The ball was kicked and like a bullet from a gun, I felt an explosion of energy and momentum. Moving into our first defensive series it would be a good day. The lights shone brightly on our eyes as 20,000 people came to watch us play. The very first play was a power trap play where the fullback led blocks through the hole, and then he is followed by a pulling guard who attacks first immediate threat. Finally the running back should come through with a blinding pace after having an initial 6 or 7 yards to begin his pace. My job is to stop that. I saw the fullback and immediately gave way, a move where you get small and let him glance by you. I did it with precision and then came the lineman who I was able to keep off of me as I began to go for the first tackle. But they had a new ripple. I had never experienced it and it cost me my dream.
            The fullback blew past me and came around in the space in the whole and chop blocked me, or attacked my outside knee with his helmet, and the lineman simply shoved me into the block. It is technically illegal but it is commonly done where the referees cannot see the play. As I felt the shearing pain shoot up my knee I began to pivot to avoid the hit further. But as I pivoted I moved into the offensive lineman who drove me to the ground while my cleat was stuck under the weight of the fullback. After the two assassins had cut out my knee I stood up only to collapse instantaneously. I could not support any part of my body and I hobbled after the fleeing running back. He was long gone and a few vultures from the other team came and knocked my down yet again.  I heard the infamous crack in my knee and knew it was my acl at the least if not more. I waited lying on the ground looking up at the lights and thinking, there it goes. I remember telling myself that I could overcome it and fight it. I said it to everyone that would listen for a while. But they knew and so did I, I was done with this game.  

No comments:

Post a Comment