Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Possession is a Treasure

                There are two things that I own that, if a fire ever broke out where these two things were, I would grab them and run before anything else. I would leave behind everything else if it came down to a choice. The two things are actually related and are from the same person. They are letters that were written to me in different times in my life and they were written by my father. The first one was a response to a letter I had written him when I switched schools for the first time in my life in the fourth grade. The second one is a letter he wrote me on the day of high school graduation. These two letters were things that enhanced the relationship with my father and have been a source of strength for me when life has been a bit more than I have been able to handle.
                As a young boy I was unable to understand change in my life especially those that took me from things that I loved like my best friend. The letter that I wrote to my parents was a personal note explaining that I was upset but trusted my parent’s choice. The letter I received stills touches me and moves me today. It was care and compassion shown in my father’s written words. It gave me comfort in different times of my life and caused me to lean on the wise words of a man that I viewed as my hero.
                The second letter was one that given to me as I came home from my high school graduation, diploma in hand. The letter spoke of the relationship that we shared and the plans for my future. It gave me his expectations and advice for the new world that I was looking to conquer. My father and I were always men who could have great conversations with one another, who could challenge each other and compete at all times. But we never had an emotional conversation about ourselves, probably the product of his childhood and my own. That letter did so much to fill those holes and gaps and really add to our relationship.
                Letters may seem trivial or material when it comes to things that can be remembered or other important documents. The letters to me though show the things that mean the most to me, my family. I will be forever grateful for the letters and I hope one day I can pass on a similar thing to my family. I fully believe that those letters have been some of the greatest things I do and will ever own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment