Sunday, December 11, 2011

A Lesson in Humility

What are we to do when the entire world thinks we are snobs? At the collapse of the stock market and the plummeting value of our currency the world felt its ramifications as well. The Middle East in particular immediately began changing prices and looking for further buyers in order to curb their American market loss. As I learned in my latest meeting there are a lot of harsh feelings in other parts of the world about the way the American people dealt with the failing industry and the affects it had globally.
            Tara and I moved through our normal Friday lunch with speed as we both had a number of topics to discuss with one another. The food was barely down when the intense conversation began, and inhibitions left the room. Cutting words began to flood the table and cause the tension and emotions to rise. It began with a question about my thoughts on the United States dependence on the foreign oil industry, and whether or not the nation was in a war based on the oil. Tara incessantly stated that “oil was the reason, is currently the reason, and will always be the reason for the decimation of the Middle East.” I was taken aback and quickly tried to make the argument that the United States gets most of its oil from Saudi Arabia and attempted to concede the point that the American government may have had some economic interest in the war. I knew though that this was not a battle I could win. The moment I made one concession more accusations flew out at me, nearly culminating in an outright statement that the United States of America had declared a holy war on the Middle East. The strength and conviction in her voice is what made the entire encounter so startling.
            With an unshakeable belief and unmoving thoughts, Tara had made statements of fact in her eyes and there was no room for any sort of gray area. The conversation began to die off into more pleasant topics, but the lingering disagreement filled my mind. The fact that she could state so simply and powerfully that the world I believed and the reality that she knew were miles away from one another. I realized that no matter my thoughts or opinions I could not tell her what I thought or try to convince her of what I believed for one simple reason. I had not lived her life and had not lived during this time. I did not grow up in this environment nor did I know people who had grown up there. I was an outsider trying to make peace with myself about what I knew.  The media constricted my knowledge and more importantly my understanding of the culture. My American ignorance was made embarrassingly clear by our conversation, and it taught me a lesson of humility in that moment that I hope to carry. I am not in a position to dictate to others what I believe to be happening or what may be right, our country might be in the same position today. 

3 comments:

  1. Austin, I think it’s really interesting that Tara, as a resident of Jerusalem, feels so strongly about the war this way. Ibrahim, who is from Saudi Arabia, did not give me any indications of this feeling whatsoever. When we talked about politics, he actually said he preferred our style of government and many of the ways that things were run in America. It’s crazy how people from two different parts of the Middle East can have such different viewpoints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Austin, I think that it would be fascinating to talk to somebody from that area about this subject. As you said, the media greatly influences what we know about everything in that part of the world. As such, it would be truly an eye opening experience to hear the views from the people who are from the Middle East.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of a documentary I watched in high school. A group of people went all over the world to dozens of countries just to talk to people and film their responses to the question, "What do you think about America?" It was crazy what some of the people said and it was really eye opening to see how the world sees us. The overwhelming opinion was that we are in a position of great power and influence but we just dont use it well. My conversation partner is also from Saudi Arabia and he told me just about the same thing when I asked him that questions. I agree with you, we are in no position to ignore the valuable perspectives of people from different countires.

    ReplyDelete